About Project Neutral
Welcome to Project Neutral!
We bring solutions to your energy, electricity, and waste problems, but you are the one that brings them to life. Together, we are making climate action possible!
How does it work? We partner with municipalities and other local activators to engage residents in climate action. Our online platform provides personalized insights and actions to help residents reduce their household carbon footprint and join the shift to a clean growth economy.
By allowing households to easily benchmark and compare their carbon footprint, we are increasing climate change awareness. By sharing municipal reduction targets, we are grounding personal goals in a local perspective. And by offering personalized incentives, we are immediately opening the door to climate action.
Since 2010, more than 2,500 households have used our tools to measure their carbon footprint, find out how they compare to their neighbours, and explore climate actions. After three years with Project Neutral, 80% of households reduce their carbon footprint by 20% (5 tonnes per household).
That's equivalent to taking one car off the road for a year for each participating household.
Ready to find out your carbon impact?
Sign-in and Get Started
Project Neutral Timeline:
- 2010: Project Neutral was incubated by Civic Action's Emerging Leaders Network. We launched in Toronto's Riverdale and Junction neighbourhoods, with a strong focus on neighbourhood action and distributed leadership.
- 2010-2014: We worked closely with Toronto's community leaders, providing Torontonians with tools to establish a greenhouse gas baseline, see how they compare to their neighbours, and explore actions that reduce energy use and carbon emissions.
- 2014: We reached our goal of over 1,000 engaged Toronto residents. 80% of participating Toronto households reduced their GHG emissions by 5 tonnes. This is equivalent to each household taking one car off the road for a year.
- 2014: Project Neutral and eMERGE Guelph partnered to bring the neighbourhood-scale engagement to Guelph, ON.
- 2015: Project Neutral and the City of London partnered as part of Active & Green Communities, a community engagement program linking the environment, health, household finances, and community wellbeing to build a more sustainable and resilient London.
- 2016: We asked our community for feedback and decided to scale up and out, to reach more Ontarians.
- 2017: Project Neutral launched the new easier-to-use website and started the work to launch in five more cities in the next three years.
Project Neutral is proud to be a project on Tides Canada’s Shared Platform, which supports on-the-ground efforts to create uncommon solutions for the common good. Tides Canada is a national Canadian charity dedicated to a healthy environment, social equity, and economic prosperity.
Tides Canada’s shared platform provides governance, human resources, financial, and grant management for Project Neutral. It has full fiduciary and governance responsibility for Project Neutral.
Project Neutral is committed to principles of dignity, independence, integration, and equal opportunity. For more information please see Tides Canada's Accessibility Policy and Plan.
Charitable Registration: BN 130560188 RR0001