Our journey together began in 2010 and since then ...
... more than 2,500 households have used Project Neutral's tools to measure their carbon impact, find out how they compare to their neighbours, and explore climate actions.
- In 2010, Project Neutral was incubated by Civic Action's Emerging Leaders Network. We launched in Toronto's Riverdale and Junction neighbourhoods, with a strong focus on neighbourhood action and distributed leadership.
- From 2010 through 2014, we worked closely with community leaders, providing Torontonians with tools to establish a greenhouse gas baseline, see how they compare to their neighbours, and explore actions that reduce energy use and carbon emissions. Those actions paid off: by 2014 we had engaged over 1,000 Toronto residents, and 80% of their households had reduced their GHG emissions by 5 tonnes — that's like taking 1,000 cars off the road for a whole year! Later that year, Project Neutral and eMERGE Guelph partnered to bring our neighbourhood-scale engagement to Guelph, ON
- In 2015, Project Neutral and the City of London partnered as part of Active & Green Communities, a community engagement program linking the environment, health, household finances, and community well-being to build a more sustainable and resilient London.
- In 2016, we asked our community for feedback and decided to scale up and out, to reach more Ontarians.
- In 2018, Project Neutral launched our new, easier-to-use website and set to work making climate action more accessible to Ontarians by updating our surveys with simple, plain-language questions most people can readily answer using information they have at hand. We also partnered with Reep Green Solutions to bring Project Neutral to Waterloo Region.
We're excited to continue our journey together with you and your communities. Climate change is the most pressing issue of our time, and its effects are becoming increasingly apparent through dramatic storms, droughts, and other disruptions to our way of life. Climate solutions are all around us. And while no one can do everything, everyone can do something!
Project Neutral's mission is to help people take action on their climate impact. When neighbours talk about their home energy use, they inspire each other to make lifestyle changes that can significantly reduce their climate impact and have a positive ripple effect in their community. In doing so, they help make low-carbon living the norm.